Saturday, January 18, 2014

Butternut Squash "Risotto"

I've read about making risotto out of barley and other grains, but in many ways, I'm a purest. If I'm going to splurge, I really want the real thing.

One really cold night during the holiday break my husband and I decided comfort food was on order and risotto sure sounded like the perfect treat. Off I went to the kitchen to pull it together.

Well, you know that feeling you get when your heart is set on something and you find out you are missing that one key ingredient? .......I was sure I had arborio rice, but when I went to the pantry, the container was empty.

Heading into the family room to break the bad news, I remembered I had barley. Well, why not? The worst that would happen is that we would have an "okay" dinner and I'd make sure to add arborio rice to my grocery list.

So, I kind of mentioned that this time we'd have a twist on risotto. I had stock, wine and some leftover butternut squash from Christmas dinner, pancetta from Parma Sausage and fresh sage. Certainly the flavors would work, but I still wasn't sure about the barley. It's so rich and nutty, would it really work?

It more than worked! Earthy notes from the sage, nuttiness from the barley, with the pancetta adding richness and the squash providing a hint of sweetness, we had the meal we were looking for.

The best part about using barley was that it required so much less "on" time and as a bonus, it's a lot healthier than plain arborio rice. Don't get me wrong, I still love a classic risotto, but this is a definite keeper!

Have you made "risotto" with a grain other than arborio? Suggestions please!




Butternut Squash Barley Risotto

1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 Tbsp Olive oil
2 oz. Proscuitto, chopped
1 cup regular barley
3/4 cup white wine
5 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp. Fresh sage, chopped

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Place squash on rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large sauté pan. Add proscuitto and cook until just beginning to crisp. Add barley and stir for 1 - 2 minutes. When hot, add wine and stir until the barley soaks up the liquid.
3. Stir in the chicken broth, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
4. Add the roasted squash to the barley and broth mixture. Cover and continue cooking for an additional 15 mintues, until most of the broth is soaked up.
5. Stir in sage and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment