Saturday, February 2, 2013

Savvy Spices

Coming Soon!  A sign like that always catches my attention.  I suppose that is the goal.  Last fall one in particular peaked my curiosity.  "Savvy Spices" Now that is my kind of store!


Even so, it took me a few months to make my way there.

I noticed it one morning on my way into work.   It was in a bit of an odd location - at least I thought it was.  Right along Banksville Rd. - one of the main arteries from the South Hills into Pittsburgh.  It was in a small building that had been vacant for quite awhile, nestled between a sign shop and dry cleaners.  Not where you would expect to find a store specializing in spices.

The store opened right before the holidays, which made sense, but with the hustle and bustle of the season I never had time to stop in and see what they were about.  Finally, on one warm Saturday last month, I made time, and was so glad I did.  The owners, Dave and Deb Johnson, greeted me and started telling me about their products, background and philosophy.  Their passion for what they are doing was obvious.  

They source the ingredients themselves and blend small batches on site - never having more than 3 - 4 bottles of anything on the shelf at a time.  They have single spices and herbs, a large assortment of blends that they have spent years developing, seasoned salts and many international blends. They also sell custom gift baskets and kits of all sorts.   (I'll keep that thought tucked away for Christmas next year!)

I chose dill weed, which I knew I needed to replace, and decided to try a Mild Fish Seasoning that Deb developed and I was told was one of their best sellers.  

 

It's a blend of paprika, salt, onion, garlic, lemon zest, and herbs and spices.  You can definitely pick up the scent of the paprika, but there is something else coming through that really makes the blend perfect for fish.  I tried it last Friday to season the breading for my cod.  It added just enough color to liven it up and it was just the hint of flavor that really made the dish pop.

 

A few nights ago I used it again- this time to replace the standby "Old Bay Seasoning" in my favorite crab cake recipe - yum! It added a bit of zest that was missing from the old recipe.  Sorry Old Bay, but Deb's Mild Fish Seasoning took those crab cakes to the next level and will be a permanent ingredient in this recipe!

If you are looking for interesting spice blends, or just need to replace some of your older spices and herbs, stop by Savvy Spices!  And if you aren't located in Pittsburgh, you can order most things online. 

Crab Cakes

1 1b. lump crab meat, picked over
2 Tbsp. light mayonnaise
1 egg, beaten (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1/4 tsp. hot sauce (or 1/2 jalapeno, chopped)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I use panko but regular, unseasoned, are also fine)
1 - 1/2 tsp. Mild Fish Seasoning

1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

2 Tbsp. canola oil or peanut oil

  1. Combine crabmeat, mayonnaise, egg, hot sauce, bread crumbs and fish seasoning in a medium bowl.
  2. Form into 6 patties.  (I often make 4 patties and then a few smaller, appetizer size patties that I can freeze for appetizers later)
  3. Coat each patty with bread crumbs and pepper.
  4. Heat oil in medium frying pan over medium heat, until hot.  Add crab cakes and cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment