Saturday, February 4, 2012

Homemade Soup Day!

Did you know that February 4th is "Homemade Soup Day"?  I had no idea, but since there is a day, week and month for just about everything that doesn't surprise me.  And what better day of the year for it?  As I look out into my backyard, with a fresh cover of the fluffy white stuff, a steaming bowl of homemade soup sounds really good right now! 

Pasta Fagioli has become one of my all time favorite soups - to make and to eat!  It's not a soup I grew up eating, and I'm not sure where I first came across it, but it's quick and relatively simple to make and one of my husband's favorites.  (He also tells me that his Italian Grandmothers would have loved it, so that makes me feel good and like I got this one exactly right!) 

This is a classic recipe that I didn't get from a cookbook or magazine - I'm not sure where it came from originally and honestly I've modified and adjusted it so much at this point I'm claiming it as mine. 

4 oz. diced Pancetta (or 4-6 slice bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 carrots, diced
2 - 3 cups chicken broth (low sodium if using canned)
2 cans (15 oz.) white beans, (I use Cannellini but Great Northern would work too) rinsed well and drained
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (yes, I use canned tomatoes - you can't get the flavor from fresh, especially this time of year!
1 cup Ditalini pasta (or elbow macaroni)
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley

1.  In a large, heavy saucepan cook Pancetta over medium heat until crispy.  Add the onion and garlic and stir until the onion is soft.  Try not to let the onion or garlic brown.

2.  Add the celery, carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add the broth and let it simmer for 5 minutes

3.  Stir in the white beans, tomatoes and herbs and simmer, covered for 5 minutes.  Stir occasionally to keep the beans from sticking to the bottom of the pan. 

4.  Add the pasta and cook for another 8-10 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. 

5.  Thin the soup with a little more broth if it is too thick.  Stir in parsley and spoon into bowls.  Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and serve with a nice crusty piece of Italian bread.  

Even if you have never made soup from scratch, I think this is one anyone can do.  It takes about 30 - 40 minutes, but a lot of that time is just letting it simmer on the stove.  The chopping is minimal and it doesn't have to be exact.  I do use canned beans and tomatoes.  For the beans - I've made my own from dried and if I happen to have some in the freezer I'll use those, but canned are perfectly fine once you've rinsed them really well to get rid of some of the excess salt.  I also use canned tomatoes.  They taste the best to me.  I also know they have been picked and canned when they are really ripe so you are getting some of the best tomatoes out there.  (Disclosure, I used to work for Del Monte Foods, so I have a little inside knowledge about how and when they are canned)  You can use the No Added Salt if that is your preference and if you happen to be someone who cans their own tomatoes - go for it!  I just know, this time of year, canned are absolutely the best tasting available and it's all I will use. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment