Sunday, March 13, 2011

Shrimp Scampi - Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here For the Food"

I typically shy away from shrimp scampi because the type of scampi I'm familiar with is usually swimming in butter, which to me just isn't appetizing.  Yes, that's probably the dietitian in me!  But, because of that, I've never considered trying to make it at home.  However, as I was reading one of my Alton Brown books the other night, I found a recipe in the section on "broiling and grilling".  Apparently, broiling the shrimp, rather than sauteing it in butter is the classic way to prepare scampi - so problem solved!  Honestly, I was a little hesitant.  Shrimp can be difficult to cook well, at least for me.  It only takes a couple of minutes and cooking it even a minute too long can leave you with something that feels like you have a small rubber tire in your mouth! 

In typical Alton style, the directions were simple but explicit.  There was no way I could mess this up unless I really wasn't paying attention! Alton said this method gives the shrimp a better flavor and better texture and he's right.  This was lovely! It turned out perfectly and we enjoyed it over angel hair pasta with asparagus on the side with a glass of Chardonnay.   It ended up being a fancy dinner that was ready in about 15 minutes - a little luxury after a long day in the office!  (Even served it on our china!)  Thanks Alton!



Recipe from:  Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here For the Food"

Heat the broiler and put the rack 5 inches away from the heat.  Spread 1 lb. of shrimp on the broiler pan, not letting the shrimp overlap.  (I lined the broiler pan with foil so it would be easier to clean up later).

Drizzle 2 Tbsp. olive oil over the shrimp and toss with 1 tbsp. minced garlic, kosher salt and ground black pepper and Old Bay Seasoning.  Place under the broiler for 2 minutes, just until the shrimp start turning pink.  (Watch closely or you will over cook it)

Stir in 4 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice add 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs and 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley and toss well.

Return to the broiler and cook until the bread crumbs are evenly browned.  (This only took a minute or two).  Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good and my kids like shrimp. Might have to give it a try. Will let you know.

    ReplyDelete